MOST RECENT STORIES
If you find new ideas exciting or you want to learn more about the ideas you’ve harbored for decades, then colleges and universities help keep your life interesting. In many towns, the campus is the hub of social and cultural life, offering shows, concerts, and the excitement of high-intensity sports. And faculty, staff, and students often play important roles in supporting their communities by volunteering and contributing to the local economy. The Postsecondary Value Commission has noted that institutions can be “educators of change agents, equitable employers, and engaged community members.”
- Colleges and universities offer activities that bring people together such as college football and basketball games or cultural programming such as art shows and concerts.
- K-12 education systems benefit from the resources of a local college or university through the teachers and administrators that they graduate, as well as through arts and cultural events, mentoring, volunteers, and the ability to take advanced classes.
- College and university communities provide support for students and an opportunity to connect with others who have similar hobbies or interests.
- Colleges and universities attract people with energy, talent, and ideas to the community.
- Colleges and universities are important employers in the community, offering steady work to people of all backgrounds, increasing economic prospects for everyone.
For additional resources:
- American Association of Community Colleges, Advocacy Toolkit
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities, American Democracy Project
- American Council on Education, Post-Traditional Learners research hub
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges, Guardians Toolkit for trustees
- Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities, Urban Initiatives and Rural Engagement for Resilient Communities
- Inside Higher Ed, “University Leaders Have a Responsibility to Speak Out”
- Phi Beta Kappa, Cities of Distinction Award
- University of Illinois, Regional public universities increase access, social mobility for nearby residents
- WONKHE, Community posts
Community Connection Stories
University of Puget Sound
Texas A&M International University
Middle Tennessee State University
Monroe Community College
Fresno Pacific University
Stevens Institute of Technology
University of North Carolina General Alumni Association